Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pregnancy Update: Month 5

I'm 23 weeks as I write this, and looking back on my 5th month of pregnancy....it was an exciting one!

I started off the month with having Braxton-Hicks contractions at 17 weeks - and some were pretty hard ones.  I was having several (10-15) a day.  I had these A LOT with Caeden, but not this early.  However, my doctor said not to be concerned unless I have more than 4-5/hr.  I still have them, but not as often.  For some reason - I just had many on that particular week.

I continued to feel lots of movements this month - she's an active one!  Her movements started to feel more like kicks and punches at this point - much more defined.  And I started feeling her on the outside too. :)  Reid has felt her a few times - but most of the time, when he tries to feel her, she stops moving...of course.  I also felt her have the hiccups for the first time!  When we were camping over Memorial Day weekend, I woke up to her having them - so fun!  Feeling her move is probably what I like best about being pregnant right now!

We started getting the baby's room cleaned out since it has been our "catch-all" room for the last 3.5 years.  That was a big job!  But we're almost done and ready to start painting!

I did have a couple of weird pregnancy dreams on this month!  One was of me having an African-American baby in a Sci-Fi-type hospital - the next day she was walking around!  Another one was that I had the baby early at 21 weeks, and they didn't even make her stay in the NICU - they actually sent her home with my dad!  Ha!  I had one more where an ultrasound tech came to our house in the middle of the night to do the ultrasound - and then she left without ever telling us the gender!  Where does my brain get these things??

The big news during this month was that we found out we were having a GIRL!!  To read about how we found out, you can read this post.  As usual, it was so fun seeing our baby girl during the ultrasound!  I just felt love and excitement!  I already think she's cute...and loved seeing her move around! :)  Reid said it just made it set in for him that this baby is really coming soon! Glad it set in now and not in October!

Just for fun, Reid & I talked about which of our physical features we hope she has.  We decided that we want her to have my nose & hair color :)....and Reid's skin complexion and "body type." 

I was very tired and had very low energy this month - just always feeling sluggish.  I'm wondering if I'm becoming anemic like I did during my pregnancy with Caeden...  I feel like it's just so hard to get around already, and I still have 4 months to go!  I also cried a lot this month - very hormonal & emotional month for me!  Other than being tired and teary-eyed, I've felt great! By the end of Month 5, I've gained 2.5 lbs. 

Here's an update on BABY at this point...
During this past month, she:
  • started out at 5.5 inches long (crown-to-rump) and ended the month at 8 inches long (about 11 inches total!)
  • started out weighing 5 oz, and ended the month weighing a whopping 1 pound!!
  • has very controlled movements - lots of twists, rolls, kicks, and punches. This is due to the fact that her cartilage began turning to bone this month.
  • is yawning & hiccuping
  • became completely covered with vernix (you mothers out there know what that is)
  • has a fully-formed uterus and has about 7 million eggs (but will only have 2 million at birth) - her vaginal canal is starting to develop (Sorry if you're a guy reading this!)
  • can swallow & has the sense of taste. Depending on what I've eaten - affects how the amniotic fluid tastes to her. 
  • has eyelids that are fused shut, but can still perceive bright light from dark. 
  • developed very good hearing.  She can pretty much hear everything that I hear - it's just more muffled-sounding.
  • And as I'm writing this post, she is supposedly packing on the fat!  This will fill out her currently red, wrinkled skin - and will turn her skin to be less transparent!

And here's a quick picture of me during Month 5 with both babies. Obviously a little bigger with this baby at this point.

Baby #2 


Caeden


I think that's it on the update!  We are just so excited to meet our baby girl - and praying she's a happy one!  (I probably won't believe she's a girl until she gets here!)  But we already love her so much!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment