Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blanket Time

I just want to share with you a beautiful concept that we use at our house called "Blanket Time."  I would highly suggest this to anyone who has a child 6 mos or older.  The purpose is to teach teach kids boundaries, self-control, how to play independently, and problem solving. 

When Caeden was 6 mos old and learned how to sit up, we started with "Playpen Time."  This is when I would set him in his pack 'n play twice a day with various toys to play with.  I started with 5 minutes each time and gradually worked our way up to 30 minutes each time.  Of course, I would always keep him in a place where I could keep an eye on him, but not where I was sitting in plain view - otherwise, he just wanted to play with mommy.  This taught him to use whatever toys mommy chose, be creative and play with them by himself.  Since he didn't understand the concept of "time," I always told him he had to play until he heard the "beep-beep," thus being the timer that I always set.  It worked like a charm!  Yes, there were days he cried, but he quickly learned that he was fine and that he had toys to play with.

Then when he was about 12 mos old, we moved to Blanket Time.  We've done this for the last year.  I would put down one blanket and do the same thing - lay out a variety of toys, set a timer and let him play.  The first 2 days I remember him playing for a few minutes, then walking off his blanket.  I simply picked him up, set him back down on his blanket and said, "You stay on your blanket until you hear the beep-beep."  After a few warnings, I even put him in time-out for getting up.  It only took two days for him to learn to stay on his blanket.  It's so great to see him stand up, stay on the edge of his blanket and see him say, "All done, mommy!"  Of course he's not all done and I remind him to stay there until the timer goes off, but what self-control to stand on the edge of the blanket and not get off, even when he so badly wants to!

I've used this even out in public.  Once, when we had to go to a title company to sign refinancing papers.  And another time when we were meeting out attorney to sign our "will" papers.  I brought a blanket and a bag of toys.  I told him it was blanket time and to stay until mommy told him he was all done.  He did!  Everyone commented on how great he did - Of course, this is only because we did this daily at home.  Here is a picture of him having blanket time today:


You'll notice I'm letting him use two blankets now.  I'm trying to widen his boundaries since we're getting ready to move to "Roomtime."  This will involve him playing in his room for a set amount of time.  I will probably have to start out with putting a gate up, or maybe even shutting the door.  Again, I will start with a small amount of time and work my way up.

I have just loved this concept after reading about it when he was a baby.  I would highly suggest this to any mother.  Yes, some days will involve crying, but for the most part, it will pay off and will teach your child some great skills!  Also, note one more thing: Make sure you carefully choose the best timing to do this.  Right after a meal or nap is great, since they're happiest then!  Hope you choose to use this in your own home.  If you do, let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. I adore this!!! What an excellent idea. Where did you read it? Was it in a book? We tried 5 minutes worth of blanket time today and I'm looking forward to making it part of our routine. (But I'd really love to read more about it!)

    ReplyDelete