Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fun with Fall!

The last few weeks, I've been doing some fall crafts with Caeden & Ella.  We've been talking about the season Fall and reading books on the subject.  Before we made our crafts, we went walking in our neighborhood and looked for "fall" items: colored leaves, pinecones, acorns, dried leaves, small twigs, etc.  They each got a large ziploc bag to put their "treasures" in.  And here are the various crafts we made:

Leaf Rubbings
I put some leaves under their white paper, set out some fall-colored crayons and showed them how to color over the leaves.  I then let them have a try - You can tell which ones I did and which ones the kids did. :)  But I still thought they did a great job!  This picture is now hanging on our fridge.


Leaves Go Crunch!
Before the kids started this craft, I cut out a large leaf shape from yellow construction paper.
                                 
I then let the kids crunch and crumble up the leaves we had collected.  I gave them each a plate with the crumbled leaves and some glue (with a paintbrush).

They brushed the glue onto their leaf shape.

Then sprinkled the small leaf bits onto the glue.

So fun!  This is also hanging on our fridge!

Leafy Placemats
This one I forgot to take a picture of.  But I cut out a sheet of wax paper, and let them put some colorful leaves on top.  Then, while they were off playing, I put another sheet of wax paper on top and ironed them together (make sure you put a thin cloth between the iron & waxed paper). This fuses the wax paper together, with the leaves in the middle.  I then cut out a construction paper frame to glue around it.  Ta-da!  They each had a fall placemat to eat on!  Sorry there's no picture with this one!  Caeden's only lasted a few days and I forgot to take a picture...

Fall Hats
For our last craft, I gave them each a strip of posterboard. In front of them, I put their pile of "treasures" we had collected from our neighborhood.  I had to use the hot glue gun for this craft, so after I put a dot of glue onto the board, they would press a piece of nature onto it.  When they were all done, I fit the hat around their heads, and stapled the ends together.  Hee-hee!  They look kinda funny, but are still cute! 


Here is one more thing I plan on doing this week....We're going to make Cinnamon Leaves for a snack!  I'm going to spread some butter on a piece of toast, and then use my leaf-shaped cookie cutter to cut the toast.  Then I will let Caeden & Ella sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture onto their toast....and eat it!  Yum!  I'm sure they'll enjoy this craft the best!  Hope you choose one of these to try with YOUR little one..and have some fun with fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment