Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Guy's Weekend Worth Repeating


This past weekend while Ashley went to a Beth Moore conference in St. Louis with her mom and sisters for a girl’s weekend Caeden and I had a guy’s weekend here at home. I was excited about the usual guy’s weekend stuff. Poker, golf, napping, shooting guns and steak dinners… were substituted with changing diapers, baby food and naps. Hey, at least one of them lined up. Actually, we went to New Life Ranch most of Friday to visit Uncle Rhett. Caeden was very serious the whole day and hardly cracked a smile at anyone. He was very entertained by all of the summer campers on the ball field (see picture) and swimming and playing in the creek. He would watch them go down the slide and then bounce off the blob, then down the other slide and across the zip line to drop in the water. We could have sat there all day and he wouldn’t have made a move. It was hot out and the pool water was pretty warm making it not so refreshing but Caeden loved it anyway. I know he is going to love going to visit Uncle Rhett as he gets older.

Saturday morning I was very proud that he knew to sleep in during a guy’s weekend. I never thought that I would appreciate sleeping until 7:00. After breakfast we headed to the square to the Farmer’s Market. If you ever want to attract some attention, just put a hat and sandals on Caeden and take him to the Farmer’s Market. I wish I had been selling something. I’m thinking about scrapping together some junk and setting up a tent, I think I could make a fortune. After playing in the fountain for a while I ended up buying some blueberries - the guy had a kid with him so what was I to do? Anyway, this led me to discover that Caeden loves blueberries. I usually cut up some strawberries from my garden to give him at meal times and he eats them in no time. For lunch I put strawberries, blueberries and cheerios (another favorite) on his tray and he pushed everything aside and picked out all the blueberries! It looks like I’ll be going back this Saturday for more. Maybe I can barter some of my junk for some blueberries.



That afternoon I decided that no guy’s weekend would be complete without a trip to a lumberyard. So, we packed up a diaper bag and headed to Lowe’s. I love Lowe’s so it was meant to be that he would love it too. I could (and have on occasion) spend hours in Lowe’s looking at all of the things that I would like to build, grow, own, etc… It is true that each year Lowe’s gift cards are at the top of my Christmas list. I could tell by Caeden trying to grab anything and everything on the shelves as we walked past that he feels the same way. The sights and sounds of Lowe’s seemed to have worn him out because he nearly fell asleep on the way home. After his afternoon nap we played in the front yard until mommy came home and he was mighty happy to see her.

All in all it was a great weekend. We may have to send mommy away every summer for a few days so we can do it again! I told Ashley the other night that I didn’t want him to get any bigger. Maybe talk a little and walk a little better but not any bigger. I know I can’t slow it so I had better enjoy it – which I am very much.

1 comment:

  1. Your time with Caeden just warmed my heart. What a great commentary. And, yes, you GOT IT, time goes by quickly enjoy each day with him and every precious moment! I bet Uncle Rhett enjoyed your visit, also.

    ReplyDelete