Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

MY New Year's Resolution

Okay, so I realize I'm 6 days late, but I'm going to fill you in on what I'm resolving to do this year.  First of all, let me say that I don't even remember the last time I made a New Year's Resolution!  I never have because I figured I always give up anyway, so why make a commitment if I'm not going to keep it?  Also, some people say you shouldn't make them because you should live right all the time....not just on New Year's.  I agree with this statement....However, some people need a point to jump-start and say "Okay...I'm going to start living right."  And this is what I'm doing.  During the days after Christmas, my tight jeans were reminding me that I'm still not down to my pre-pregnancy weight....nor the weight I actually WANT (and need) to be at. 

I know...everyone and their mom decides they're going to lose weight on January 1.  But I never have!  And I realized....the reason I can't get this weight gone is because I'm a "deadline" person.  I need an end goal and a deadline....otherwise, I go no where.  I'm also a "planner" as many of you know.  So I decided...In order to lose this weight, I need an end deadline and a specific plan.  I also added to this ACCOUNTABILITY.  So guess who my accountability are....My husband Reid, my mom, my dad, and YOU!!  This makes me terribly nervous that I'm writing this on my blog because if I don't do well at this, everyone will know.  But now everytime I reach for a piece of chocolate, I'm going to think...."But wait...I have to post how much weight I've lost this weekend...Better not eat this!"  Which is the point I guess.  I'm hoping this accountability will hold me to it.

So here it is....For my end goal and deadline: My goal is to lose 24 pounds by May 1.  And yes...this would put me at a healthy weight according to the height/weight charts I've looked at.  May 1 is my goal... This gives me 4 months.  I figure this is 6 lbs a month (1.5 lbs a week)....which is totally do-able!  And this will put me at a healthy weight.  AND after eating right and exercising for 4 months, I'm hoping it will become my new habit and lifestyle.

Now, for my plan...At the beginning of each two-week period, I'm going to set some specific goals for myself.  These goals will build on each other.  If I started this week with saying: I need to only eat X calories a day, work out every day for 30 minutes, drink 8 glasses of water, take my vitaimins, watch my portion sizes, etc. (Whoo..That makes me tired jus typing it).... I would get overwhelmed and would probably fail.  So by making short-term, two-week goals, I'm more likely to succeed.

Here are my goals for the first two weeks of January:  Eat smaller portion sizes (and healthier snacks), and exercise 3 times per week.  Soooo..That is what I've been focused on this week.  I weighed on Saturday to get my starting weight.  But for your sake and mine, I'm not going to post it here. :)  HOWEVER, I will weigh in each Saturday morning, and will later that day post how much I've lost.  Man, this makes me nervous!  But I will always use your encouragement and cheering!   I've tried really hard this week and have already worked out twice....Which is better than I have for the last year and a half.  I'm anxious for Saturday to see what the scale says.

Remember....I'm NOT becoming obsessed with my weight.  I'm mainly wanting to get healthly and my weight is an easy way to keep track.  I know I am a role model for Caeden...I can't expect him to grow up and eat fruit for snacks if I'm eating chocolate.  Therefore, I need to start now with eating right and exercising...so he too, can have a healthy lifestyle and life longer! 

Okay that's it!  Congratulations if you read this entire post....You are a TRUE follower!  I'll keep you posted this Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm a true follower! :) Kudos to you Ashley. Peter and I have recently started exercising more and trying to eat healthy, too. I found some good, healthy recipes at the Mayo Clinic website, too.

    You can do it! (I'm a big fan of deadlines and encouragement/accountability myself. :)

    ReplyDelete