Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Potty Training: Day 4

So here we are at Day 4!  We've had some great successes, but I still wouldn't consider Caeden completely potty trained.  Some successes for today are that he pooped in the potty twice - I'm so thankful that he's not scared to do this, and that we didn't have any poopy accidents (much messier to clean up)!  He also told me completely on his own that he had to go pee today.  Right before his nap, he said "Peepee mommy."  So we rushed to the bathroom and he went!!  YAY!!  However, this was the only time he did this.  He had a few accidents this evening.  So I'm not really sure.  Again, I DO feel like we're making progress, and I truly do believe that he's ready....It's just taking a few more than 3 days.

For those of you considering this method (http://www.3daypottytraining.com/), I'm going to post some of my suggestions below:
  • I would still highly recommend this method because I love the author's philosphy on potty training. I still wouldn't do it any other way!  But totally expect for it to last more than 3 days!  Some of my friends who've done this really did complete the task in 3 days (one of them in two!).  But most of us it's taken 4-5 days.  Like I said at the very beginning, it took another one of my friends 7 days to teach her son.  So, if at all possible, block at 4-5 days to stay home and do this. Yes, it's an intense week, but it will be great when we knock it out!
  • Buy some solid-colored underwear/panties.  The ones with patterns on them make it hard to see when he's peeing.  We bought a few Toy Story underwear so he could be excited about wearing them, but the solid colored ones are much easier to see an accident with. 
  • Don't expect for your house to be clean the week you do this.  Clean the house and catch up on laundry the days before you start.  Then make sure your husband understands that your mission this week is potty training!  Then focus completely on your child for that week, and DON'T WORRY if your house isn't perfect - You're accomplishing a very big goal!
  • Lastly, if it's at all possible for your husband to stay home with you for part of the training, it's of great help!!!  Reid is home since he's on summer break - I DID make him read the eBook.  I wanted him to understand the method and be using the same terms as me, so it didn't cause confusion to Caeden.  But when there's times I'm tired, or frustrated, and need a break - he can watch Caeden for a bit.  One suggestion: You and your husband take a Friday off work, then make sure you're both home Saturday and Sunday.  This will give you 3 full days to fully focus on your child.  It it takes more than 3 days, at least you'll have the hardest work out of the way.
Okay - I think that's it for this post!  I'm so anxious for Caeden to get this down so we can be done and venture out of the house! ;)

Caeden showing off his M&M reward, after going in the potty!


1 comment:

  1. So cute to hear his 'report' on the phone today. Maybe he is holding out for the BIG REWARDS... just kidding!

    ReplyDelete